It's Top Ten Thursday and today Tamara (Part-time Working Hockey Mom) has asked us to list the top ten things we did for ourselves in the past couple of days or weeks: for our physical or mental health, for our silly joy, for our further education, whatever we could think of!
1. Beach Walk - last weekend we went for a walk along Findhorn Beach with Bramble Jelly, enjoying the crisp, cold weather with a bright, blue sky.
2. Breathing - I know that may sound like a really strange thing to put, but taking time to do some slow, deep breathing can make all the difference to how you feel in a day. Doing a short relaxation can help with stress and anxiety levels which ultimately is wonderful self care.
3. Hot Drinks - sometimes just sitting down at home with a nice cup of coffee (my tipple of choice) or tea (Ken's poison) and relaxing can be the best self care in the world.
4. Laughter - having a laugh is great self care, so watching a comedy or doing silly things is perfect for your health. Recently I put a stripe of lipstick down my beloved's forehead on the way to work because he kept swerving when I was trying to put it on. Despite reminding him as I got out of the car at work, he forgot it was there and went shopping to several different shops and to Costa for a drink, before getting back in the car and noticing it when he looked in the mirror. I laughed so much when he told me and I'm sure all the people who encountered him that day did as well.
5. Spring Babies - taking time to enjoy nature is a great form of self care and it always makes me smile when I see the lambs and piglets, especially if Ken stops the car so I can get out to take a photo and have a bit of a chat with them. I try to forget what's going to happen to them in the future and tell myself they're going to live to a ripe old age.
6. No - this is a form of self care that I find really hard so I thought it was important to put in in. I'm really bad at saying no to people and end up doing things that I haven't really got time for or that challenge my sanity at the time. My way of trying to counter this is that my lovely colleagues often double check with me when I say yes to make sure I actually mean this.
7. Fun - we often take selfies so that we have pictures of the two of us together, but it's even more fun if you can find a giant unicorn horn and have it coming out of both of your heads.
8. Reading - this is often my go to thing to help me switch off and recharge, as I can get lost in a book for hours, shutting out the world and immersing myself in the world of my book characters.
9. Manicure - I haven't actually done this for a while, but it is something that I love having done and getting my nails painted at the same time.
10. Hugging - that connection to another human being that can show so many things; reassurance, empathy, friendship, support, and of course love.
|Photo from Pixabay.com|
Until next time, be good, stay safe, and take care of you this week.
Pamela & Ken