Thursday, November 30, 2017

Top Ten Thursday - Speaking Up

This week's top ten is all about speaking up in situations where someone needs to do the right thing. As I start this I'm not sure if I'll get to ten, but lets see. Thanks to Tamara at Part-time Working Hockey Mom for the challenging theme. Sometimes speaking up can be just as much about action so some of mine might be things that I do.


1. One way I speak up is by signing petitions for things that I feel strongly about. The most recent one I've signed is about the law when a cat gets hit by a car. This may sound trivial to some, but cats are the second most popular pet in this country and yet you don't have to report when you hit a cat but you do if you hit a dog or even a goat. If you're interested in signing this petition, follow the this link - Sign for Cats. I was actually going to start the petition myself when I found out about this law, but was glad that someone else had started it.

2.Becoming a pescatarian (fish eating vegetarian) is my way of speaking up for animals. There are several reasons that I made this decision, but protecting animals is definitely one of them.

3. Buying the Big Issue from street sellers gives them a wage which means they're working and this will aid them in whatever their goals are for the future. Here is a really good article that debunks a lot of the myths that people believe about the people that sell this fabulous magazine - Big Issue Article. I hope that when others see us doing this that they may buy it as well.

4. Choosing not to buy products from certain countries who have atrocious human rights records is another way of speaking up. If I believed that the money actually went to the people that need it then that would be different, but unfortunately the money usually goes to big businesses that keep the money between the entitled few.

5. I refuse to wear fur - it looks so much better on the animals than on humans. Wool is fine as you don't have to kill the sheep to get the wool.

6. I have spoken up a lot and signed loads of petitions on marriage equality in Australia and finally, after the nation has spoken, it seems to almost be a reality.

7. Another product I try to avoid is palm oil. This is in so many products and if I know I don't use that product due to the environmental devastation that is happening in lots of countries just to grow more palms. Unfortunately I discovered that it's in Nutella so that is now a no no.

I've run out of steam now so the last three are not me but people that I admire for what they spoke up for (hint, they're all females).

8. Rosa Parks is often called the first lady of the civil rights movement which all started with her refusing to give up her seat for a white man in 1955. A very brave thing to do in 1950's Alabama.

9. Emmeline Pankhurst who regularly spoke up for the right of women to vote.

10. Malala Yousafzai who spoke up for the right of girls to get an education, was shot in the head, and continues to campaign for this. An amazing young woman.

Do you find it easy to speak up when things aren't right? Do you have things that you do to help speak up in a different way? Before you go, pop over to Tamara's blog, Part-time Working Hockey Mom to see what my fellow bloggers have come up with.

Until next time, be good, stay safe, and do something this week for someone else.

Pamela & Ken
xxxxxxxxxxxx








3 comments:

  1. I admire that you are a vegetarian. I tried in 2010, but I only made it 7 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made it 19 months so far and not really been tempted. My beloved had one relapse a couple of months after we made the decision but since then he says he's not been tempted either.

      Delete
  2. #2 - I'm almost a pescatarian if I cut out chicken, the word pescatarian sounds like someone who loves cats

    #5 - I don't like fur but if I have to choose, I would choose fake fur

    #6 - I don't think anyone have the right to tell you who to marry, they're not the ones who will spend their life with that person so

    I'm not good at speaking up, frankly, I'm not much of a talker but I'm glad other people are.

    great list. have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete